Friday, October 10, 2008

Mambo

"You cannot notice what-is and complain about it, and be a vibrational match to the solution. When you were living the problem, you were asking for the solution, and Source said yes immediately. So, there's never a reason for you to be wallowing around in a problem for more than about a second? You can get so good at this that before you're even aware that the problem has gotten started, you've already got the solution under way." -- Esther Abraham Hicks

The first 25 years I ran from and avoided the calling. Then I accepted my assignment, then I put my mission on hold while I started my family. Now, I return to the path that is my destiny. My mission, which I chose to accept, requires me to walk a road that others before me have walked. The way is not easy - it never is, but the path is visible from this fork in the road.

Mambo (Voodoo)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mambo is the term for a female (as opposed to the Houngan, or male) High Priest in the Voodoo religion in Haiti. They are the highest form of clergy in the religion, whose responsibility it is to preserve the rituals and songs and maintain the relationship between the spirits and the community as a whole (though some of this is the responsibility of the whole community as well). They are entrusted with leading the service of all of the spirits of their lineage.


The robe I selected for my mission is Ifa. Most questions about this robe are answered here: Cultural-Expressions. I chose my teacher, babalawo Omigbade while I lived in Brooklyn, NY. I have never regretted a moment of my decision. The path is full of those who would take your money (this is an expensive path if money is lacking in your reality) and give you nothing in return. Or worse yet, those who would take your money and misdirect you. However, I managed to find my teacher at the right time and the right place, so I have no bitterness towards any of the experiences I have had on this path. The rituals are secret, but they work. What is seen in the public eye sometimes seems like movie magic, it is lacking in the true essence of the rite. The real power is conjured behind closed doors.

Zora Neale Hurston revealed some aspects of the rituals in her book Mules and Men. Portions were shown in the movie The Serpent and the Rainbow after all art imitates life. These pieces do not accurately and fully describe the beautiful and powerful cultural expression that is IFA.

No comments: